I Can Play!
I Can Play! is a collaborative project run by Music4U in partnership with Music & the Deaf, York Music Hub and York Deaf & Hearing Support Service, which seeks to develop access to instrumental learning for deaf children and young people in York. This project builds on a four-year programme of research and development activity, investigating the levels of provision and barriers to making music for deaf children and young people in the Music4U region, and exploring ways of enabling greater participation.
I Can Play! has grown from this R&D and aims to develop routes through which deaf young people can access the wealth of opportunities to learn to play an instrument that exist in York. During this 7-month progression project, deaf children and young people will have the opportunity to:
- Try out instruments and participate in music making activities and workshops
- Find out about the opportunities to access instrumental learning and music making in York
- Meet instrumental tutors and increase their knowledge and confidence about making music
- Be introduced to role models in the music making community, including professional deaf musicians and music leaders
- Participate and perform through music workshops and sharing events
- Share the experience with their families, teachers and carers, who will also develop their knowledge and confidence around accessing music making opportunities
Music4U understands the need to also support professionals, ensuring they have the confidence and skills to provide excellence in teaching deaf young people. Through the I Can Play! project, local music teachers and community musicians will:
- Have the opportunity to take part in training and shadowing activities in order to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence in working with deaf children and young people
- Connect with deaf musicians and music leaders, and understand more about the training and support that is available to develop their skills in this area
- Develop their knowledge of the potential as well as the barriers that exist regarding deaf children and young people beginning and continuing their musical journey
- Support deaf children and young people to access the range of instrumental learning opportunities that exist
- Develop new partnerships and connections with families, teachers and carers of deaf children and young people and have access to better communication pathways to encourage and sustain engagement with music making among deaf children and young people
The project will include training and CPD activities, workshops, performances and sharing events, and will take place between January and July 2017. For more information please contact email@example.com